Baby Shower Gifts
Almost all baby shower gifts are appreciated as long as they are not offensive, embarrassing or insulting to the "mommy-to-be" or hostess. That fact alone should remove much of the anxiety associated with shopping for the appropriate baby shower gift. An appropriate baby shower gift is a gift that is suitable for the particular person and the particular occasion. If you focus on usefulness and avoid offence your chance of finding the appropriate gift is very good.
What Makes The Baby Shower Gift Appropriate
Knowing something about the family and what their needs are in regards to caring for the new arrival as well as their lifestyle will narrow down the search for the appropriate gift. The appropriate baby shower gift is one that will be appreciated, in keeping with the lifestyle of the parent, useful in caring for the baby immediately or in the future. If the parent has a baby shower registry, the choice of a gift can be make easier by simply choosing a gift on the list not purchased yet.
Age appropriate is normally a consideration when giving a gift to a child. However, for the baby shower it is appropriate to give gifts to be used at a later age or gift that will covers a wide age range. With toys, we recommend you go with three years old and under to avoid parts small enough for the baby to swallow.
Some gifts may fit the lifestyle of the parent more than others. For example: If the parent like hiking you might consider a carriage that is convenient for taking baby on hikes or if the parent is a runner you might consider a jogging stroller.
Following these few simple rules will make you a hit at any baby shower.
Some Things To Consider When Choosing A Baby Shower Gift
At the start only women were invited to baby showers, but today these celebrations can include father, grandfather, and any male family members. Therefore, any one can find themselves shopping for the appropriate baby shower gift.
Historically, the grandparent would give a gift of silver as a small amount of inheritance for the child. Some grandparent still give the gift of silver today. Others grandparent have expanded the idea of a inherence to include saving accounts, saving bonds and stock certificates. In some places it is still traditional for the grandmother to make a baby blanket or small quilt for the baby. These are still appropriate baby shower gifts.
Most of the times those invited to the baby shower will not be grandparent and will be looking for other appropriate gifts. Understanding the appropriate gift is suitable for the particular person and the particular occasion, is usefulness and does not offend, you will find the following meet the requirement as appropriate baby shower gifts:
- Any item from the baby shower gift registry not already purchased. You don't have to get the item from the selected store.
- Disposable Diapers and baby wipes- Diapers are expensive, and babies use them quickly, so new parents always appreciate a gift of diapers.
- Baby Clothes-Baby clothes in larger sizes will likely be used more. If you don't know the baby's gender, a gift certificate is a welcome baby shower gift, allowing the parents to choose an outfit after baby arrives.
- Books and DVD - Buying Books, DVDs and Music-Help boost baby's brainpower by choosing a classic baby book, educational DVD.
- Baby Toys - You can buy baby toys made for older babies for use later in baby's life, but stick with toys for ages 3 and under to avoid the possibility of the baby choaking on the small parts. Your gift can be used for a longer time if its for a wider age range.
- Lifestyle Gifts for Parents and Babies -- If you want to give a baby shower gift that's out of the ordinary, consider the parents' lifestyle. (Ex. Joggers, Bikers).
- Gift Baskets - Gift baskets make a wonderful keepsake gift and contains many of the essentials necessary for the new bundle of joy.
- Baby Blankets - Infants quickly become attached to their security baby blankets. It will bring much joy to your baby.
- Gift Certificates- For busy new parents, gift certificates can make it easy to pick up last-minute items that were forgotten in the preparations for baby's arrival. Gift certificates also give parents-to-be a way to purchase a special item that they really wanted but didn't receive at the baby shower. Baby shower gift certificates don't have to be just for baby products, either. New parents might enjoy gift certificates for dinner delivery, movie rentals, house cleaning, massage, day spas or cloth diaper service. (Ex. gift certificates online).
Successful Baby Shower Giving
Don't offend or embarrass the new mom or the hostess and most any gift will be appreciated. To be thoughtful and give what is needed or what the parent wants most, follow the guidelines in this article. Selecting what the parent will appreciate and need is the secret to successful baby shower giving.